Monday, February 9, 2009

How to be a kid when you're technically an adult...

There are just a few steps on how to be a kid when you're actually an adult. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm only 19. So, I'm not an experienced adult, but I think I've gotten a little taste of adult life. And I think that some adults really need help getting back to their inner child and I think that I've still got some kid left in me... So, here are a few easy and simple steps to becoming a kid again...

Step 1: The Friend

Having a friend who also is in desperate need of re-connecting with the kid inside them is crucial. There are plenty of old, boring adults out there, with a kid just yelling and screaming inside of them, trying with all their might to get out. Go grab one!!!

Step 2: The Ice Cream Man

Imagine with me... You're a kid again... It's summer vacation, and it's the hottest it's been in years. You're sitting in your room, bored with all of your toys. You're looking out the window, just hoping your mom will take you to the public pool. When all of the sudden, you hear a little tune in the distance. You know that song... THE ICE CREAM MAN!!!!! You go tearing down the stairs, screaming at the top of your lungs, "MOM! MOM! I NEED A DOLLAR! This is not a want, Mom! This is a NEED!" After what feels like infinity years of your mom shuffling through her purse, she finds a dollar! You grab it and run, yelling, "Thanks, Mom!" over your shoulder as you're half way across the front lawn. Then, you stop. You look, and listen. "Where is it?" you ask yourself. And then, you hear it! You sprint towards the sound, turn the corner, and... there it is! The Ice Cream Truck! You patiently stand in line. The sun beating down on your head, your feet burning on the side walk. Who has time to get shoes when you're chasing the ice cream man? Finally, it's your turn. You hand the man your dollar and you finally get your favorite frozen treat. (Mine was the Flinstones Push-Up Pops!!!)
Now, how good did that feel? When you were standing in line, feet aching from the long run on the scalding hot pavement, what was the only thing you could think of? The ice cream! For this step to be effective, you need to find that ice cream once again. Whether it be an otter pop, a push-up pop, or one of those cool astro pops! Find one, and eat it!

Step 3: The Puddle

Do you remember when rain wasn't evil? When you longed to go outside and just get soaking wet? Do you remember back before everybody carried those lame black umbrellas? Throw out the umbrella! Throw out the overcoat! Take some time to just enjoy the rain! Jump in a puddle, splash your fellow "Kid Finding" friend in the face! Race your leaf boats down the river on the side of the road! It's the best way to re-connect.

Step 4: Lunch Time

Make yourself some lunch. Like Mom used to, remember? The good old peanut butter and jelly, no crust, cut diagonally, with a bag of Cheetos on the side, and a Capri Sun sitting there, the straw already opened and punched through the hole. Oh, lunch time...

I hope that these few tips have helped someone out there get back to basics in life. Break free from the mold. Find a childhood friend, get some ice cream, splash around, and eat some PB&J. The good old days...

3 comments:

  1. I know I'm going to like this blog. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read something the other day that reminded me of you and Brian:

    "We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like that quote!!! that's gonna be how i live my life from now on!

    ReplyDelete